Reef Tools Help

Help

Reef Id
Aquarium Supply Info

6,507 views

IceCap Inc to move in new direction?

Posted on Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 at 4:24 pm by

It seems that after years of being a staple in the Reef lighting industry, IceCap may have hit a bump. It is going to be interesting to see what comes of this development in the new year. We wish IceCap the best of luck in this process. We continue to use and support the IceCap line of products (we currently use their LED Moonlight Tubes, 20K Metal Halide bulbs, several 660s, and a 4 bulb retrofit kit).

In a press release to its vendors, IceCap Inc made the following announcement:

Dear Valued Vendor,

First I would like to extend a Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. I know this comes somewhat bitter sweet as many of you have attempted recently to contact IceCap, Inc. with little to no success. For that I am truly sorry.

IceCap, Inc. has been around for about 20 years and many of you have supported IceCap, Inc. through the ups and downs over the years. Unfortunately, we finally hit a trough in our business cycle due to several factors that impaired this business to the point where we could not and can not recover. Therefore, by the direction of the IceCap, Inc. Board of Directors we have suspended operations.

What this means is we are aggressively and actively seeking opportunities to keep the IceCap, Inc. a viable brand in the markets and with customers we have served in the past 20 years. We expect to bring closure to this process within 60 days and plan to align the new management team, investors, and/or owners with our valued vendors/suppliers in hopes this continuation of business will mitigate the effects of recent events.

IceCap, Inc.

More From Reef Tools

12 Responses to “IceCap Inc to move in new direction?”

1. Felicia McCaulley says:

unlike.

2. Reef Tools says:

yeah…not happy. I love my IceCap stuff!!

3. Tony Nista says:

I’ve had the same 660 ballast running 12 hours a day for over 13 years! This is very sad, indeed.

4. Rick Pucciarella says:

Terrible…

5. Tony Hatch says:

That’s a government bail out I would vote for. Lol. I do wish them the best!

6. Mike Howell says:

From Andy Howard to the new generation Ice Cap has always stood for the solid products they deliver. I also have serveral of their ballest that have been running for well over 10 years with no failures. I wish them the best, they have always supported our club (SMMAS) and our school program. A good company with a good heart…

7. Rick Pucciarella says:

UM… Where did this information come from and has anyone confirmed this as accurate information? The Listing on reeftools is a little vague as to the source of the information. Anyone can copy and paste just the same as everyone can printscreen the picture they are using. Source of the information, validity, and a statement actually coming from the company would be good. I haven’t seen anything coming directly from the source. Check their Facebook page… Their Website… It isn’t on the news pages there… SO? Is this real or is this a hoax? Some people will go to great lengths these days to try and put someone out of business as well as slander or hurt a business to get what they want.

8. Jeremy Beavin says:

Judging from their lack of customer service lately, I would say it’s true. Steve Pro left awhile back and since then my lfs has not received any products from them. They have been waiting on an order fro aver 4 months!

9. Reef Tools says:

Rick, we can not reveal the source, but I’d be very surprised if they went through the effort to write this up and contact us

10. James Gasta says:

I have heard from a reputable source that Ice Cap is in a reorganization process and intends to relocate their facilities in one of the southern states.

11. Chuck Troiani says:

Dear Salt Water Aquarium Enthusiast,
    IceCap, inc. is not out of business but has idled its operations to assess a path forward. There are those in the industry that would like to see the demise of IceCap, Inc. to profit from the absorption of IceCap’s customers and to provide me-to products they will have readily available. If IceCap fails, the Salt Water enthusiast with IceCap products will be hurt in the end as they will have to purchase a different brand of product and/or not get service.
    To the benefit of the enthusiast, if IceCap fails I will disclose all product cost information about IceCap’s and similar products in the industry and the associated mark-ups. I will expose the suto-white knights that artificially showed interest to acquire IceCap only to turn their backs to wait for a demise to feed off the opportunity of desperate customers. I will gladly share this information to allow the enthusiast to leverage pricing and cost knowledge to assert pressure on retailers, distributors, and manufacturers to gain a better consumer pricing advantage for an expensive venture.

12. Chris Conti says: