Controllable Flow DC Pumps by WavelinePosted on Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 at 9:24 am by Paul
H20 Systems Inc. unveiled the Waveline DC-5000 at the Global Pet Expo in Orlando, Florida. DC pumps have several advantages, like lower power consumption, they can run substantially cooler and since the pump is a DC pump it can run off of a battery source or a solar panel. Power goes out, no problem. The CD-5000 is reported to consume 40W at the maximum speed pushing 1,320 gph.
The DC-5000 has 6 adjustable flow rates and is packaged with a controller. The flow from traditional pumps was only controllable by restricting the flow by way of a valve. The new DC-5000 reduces the RPMs through the controller which also reduces the power consumption of the pump.
This new line of pumps opens up several new possibilities. Add the DC-5000 to a closed loop system using the controller to vary the flow from the pump could possibly replace the need for wavemakers and powerheads.
Advanced Aquarist revealed the DC-10000, which will push 2,640 gph. Here are the stats Advanced Aquarist released:
- The product line is currently comprised of two models: The DC-5000 and the DC-10000. The DC-5000 is in production and the DC-10000 should be in production by the end of April 2012. A smaller DC-2500 model is also planned for the future.
- Waveline pumps can be operated in-line or fully submersed.
- As their model numbers imply, the pumps are direct-current (DC). DC pumps are considerably more efficient than common AC pumps and allow variable speed control by ramping up/down the motor’s RPM. Greater efficiency also results in less heat transference to your water.
- The pumps will come complete with a standard controller (pictured below) that allows users to select between six preset speeds as well as engage a 10 minute feed mode with a push of a button.
- H2O systems is working on an optional, advanced control module that will feature a photo cell (for day/night sensing), dynamic variable speed control, pulse mode ability, and interoperability with popular aquarium controllers like the APEX.
- The DC-5000 outputs 1320gph (5000lph). The DC-10000 outputs 2640gph (10,000lph).
- The DC-5000 consumes 40 watts. The DC-10000 consumes 85 watts.
- The DC-5000’s MRSP is $239.99 USD. The DC-10000’s MSRP is $349.99 USD.
- Waveline is now available in Canada and should appear in the USA very shortly.