X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoa's slowly dying off

A friend gave me some frags of Zoa's from his tank several weeks ago. At first they were all doing great--opened that day and had great color. Here lately though, a lot of them are slowly just wasting away. Almost like they died and the tissue is just being blown away by the current. Now, I have other colonies of Zoa's and palys that have been in the tank for a long time and are happy as can be. His tank had MH and mine had T5's (using MH+T5 now for two days). I noticed them starting to die last week.
    My readings are pH 8.3, Ca 440, Mg 1335, Alk 205.4/11.5/4.1, temp 80, SG 1.024. Everything was dipped in Coral Rx and temp acclimated which is the same procedure I use for all corals.
    The only other thing new to my tank are two HK1050 that I added. Could the current be too strong for them? They do seem happier on the bottom.
    All help appreciated.

This is a tough one. Is it possible they are getting too much light? In theory MH should have better PAR values, but you'd be surprised how much light a T5 can put out. Different factors like reflectors, age of bulb, ballast, etc. can affect intensity. You could try shading them somewhat and see if that helps. Otherwise if they're too far gone already just pull them out and do a large water change....

Comment

What are your nitrites and nitrates at?

Comment

I have had random hit or misses with some zoas. Some zoas which looked like they were dead/closed up for around 4 weeks and I just left em in there, decided to finally open up.

When you dipped, did you see any pests drop off? Could be something that came with them. Could also be something with acclimation to your lights/system. There are just so many reasons why zoas close -_-

Comment

+1 with the guy above me. Some. Zoas can take weeks to.be happy and open

Comment

Hey all and thanks for the replies. Both nitrites and nitrates are 0. When I dipped them I did not see anything come off. I dip in a white bowl and use an LED flashlight and magnifying glass to looks for hitchhikers. I have had others close for a long while as well (man they can be pissy!) but these guys are actually losing tissue. I moved all of the ones that don't look good lower in the tank and they seemed to be happier so I'm leaning more to the light being too intense for them. The buddy that gave me the Zoa's also gave me his MH lights as he is starting a new tank and going LEDs. He told me that his bulbs needed replacing. So given that it could very well be too much light. I replaced two (was running 4) of my T5's with MH on Monday. At first I ran just one (with new Phoenix 14k bulb) but the light didn't spread so I've added a second. It was the best of the bulbs until I ordered a 2nd.

If anything changes I will post so that maybe it could help someone else.

Thanks again all.

Comment

are things getting better?

Comment

Since I work two jobs when I got home last night it was late and the lights were off so I couldn't tell but yesterday morning they seemed happier since I've moved them to the bottom.

Comment

Coral period can be touchy. We have some Zooanthiads in my 75 gallon that love high light, but I have some in my 29 gallon that can't handle the high light and even at the very bottom of my 75 gallon they don't like it, even shaded. It's so strange. It's like a Toadstool Leather that I have, we have to have it up high in the light like the cabbage leather. The funny thing is I have several Frags in my 75 gallon tank of the exact same leathers and each one is completely different.

One thing I have learned with Saltwater is that just because someone or something says "It's good for them" doesn't always mean that's true. It's really a touch and go hobby, it can be blessing and it can be a pain. lol

[IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ooanthiads.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

This evening they seem very happy for the most part. All of the ones that I moved down to the bottom are open again. I gather from this it is either my lights were too bright (or at least my spectrum) or the current was too strong, OR a combo of both. Regardless, they are doing better so I will let them settle into my tank and then slowly move them higher to the spots where I want them and hopefully they will thrive.

Comment

This is good to hear !!!

Comment

Kudo's for saving them!

Comment

Its funny how touchy they can be, I have a large Zoa colony in my 75, has been in the same place, under the same lights, in the same flow, for over a year, over a period of a week it went from healthy to not opening and looking like it was dying, was a freebie so I figured if it dies it dies, 3 weeks later it started opening back up again and has been back to its usually happy self for months, go figure lol

Comment

Well after they all seemed to be getting better, I've noticed a couple of the colonies again, slowly showing tissue recession. I have noticed that a few of them seem to be stretching so, it may be I was starving them for light. Along that thought, yesterday, I moved almost all of them higher in the tank. Also, I replaced my timer (other one died) yesterday, so my lights are more stable now.

It's just agrivating not knowing.

Comment

beyond annoying when things happen for no apparent reason, when all we can do it test the water and say ya it looks good

Comment

Working...
                              X