X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for the drawing board...

So my wife has agreed to allow me to submit possible designs for a new system in my family room. It would be in place of my 125 freshwater tank.

I am thinking of incorporating my 93 gallon cube with another tank tied into one system contained within the stand. I have no place else for the filtration. (I have faced reality and my dream of adding a fishroom onto the house is many years down the road).

Here are pictures of the space I have to work with:

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...2-DSC_0683.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...2-DSC_0682.jpg

Can doors be easily switched to which way they open? That would provide more space and a possible "L" shaped design. Perhaps the cube on the short end of the "L" in the area you see the door and a longer tank (4ft or 6ft) in the same area as the current FW tank.

I think I would like a shelf/bar coming off the stand so that someone could sit at the tank and have room for a plate or drink on the shelf.

I am not very proficient in google sketch or any modeling software but I may give that a try.

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas/ suggestions! I will be looking for expert advice!

Yes for the most part doors are very easy to switch out, you will need to pop the jamb loose and turn it around then replace your trim. Nathan, I am not sure where you are located but I am very handy and willing to give a helping hand. I work as a maintenance supervisor so I do this stuff all day long, the idea for a bar at the tank is good sounds fun to sit and have a bite with the fish.

Comment

let me know if you need any plumbing I have a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by Crkbaby View Post
        Thanks But I have two giant bins full of plumbing parts!

Comment

Nathan my concern would be you would be blocking your cold air return ultimately reducing the efficiency of your furnace and in return raising your electric/gas bill and putting more stress on the furnace....how big are you planning on going?

Comment

I was talking to Renton lol.

Comment

Originally posted by consumedcorals View Post
              Yes for the most part doors are very easy to switch out, you will need to pop the jamb loose and turn it around then replace your trim. Nathan, I am not sure where you are located but I am very handy and willing to give a helping hand. I work as a maintenance supervisor so I do this stuff all day long, the idea for a bar at the tank is good sounds fun to sit and have a bite with the fish.
              I was talking to Renton lol.
              Thanks guys! I know who to go to when I need plumbing parts!
              Last edited by Renton777; 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tru2nr View Post
                Nathan my concern would be you would be blocking your cold air return ultimately reducing the efficiency of your furnace and in return raising your electric/gas bill and putting more stress on the furnace....how big are you planning on going?
                That is a good thought. The furnace is actually in the room right behind that wall and I don't plan to put anything right up against the return.

My hope is to have the 93 cube I currently have and either a 125 6ft tank or a 120 4ft tank tied in. I am starting to abandon the "L" shape and just go along the wall that the tank seen above is along.

Comment

Man if you decided a little earlier i would have gotten you a 120 free. Too late now

Comment

After sketching up some ideas and thinking about it a bit more, I may end up just going with one tank, like a 205 gallon 72" x 30" x 22" or a 245 gallon 72" x 30" x 26. Lots of ideas bouncing around in my head.

Comment

now were talking! bigger the better...lol in hindsight im wishing that i would have had a 5ft'r where my 75 is right now but im holding off going real big until i get my basement finished...that way i can plan the entire basement around the fish tank

Comment

Here is a sketch up of my new thought. I downloaded someone's bar model and changed it a bit, not necessarily the stand design, but I do like it. The tank would be an open on top (with a screen) with AI SOL LED's hanging over it.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...um/Sketch2.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...um/Sketch1.png

Comment

Does the tank have to stay there? What does the rest of the room layout look like? Can you do a top looking down view?

Comment

Looks great!!!

Looks awesome!! if you need any help let me know i would love to help!

If you for some crazy reason decide to sell the cube let me know haha!

Comment

Looks great Nathan! That's the spirit! Love the idea! I would go with the 245 gallon. Better viewing visibility. May be a little more work to get in for mounting corals, but I think it would be worth the extra height. imo

Lmk if you need any help with the project buddy! Looking forward to the build. Should be a blast!

Comment

Working...
                              X